Monday, January 26, 2009

A Close Call

Hi Beloved Southies,

I'd like to share a testimony because it's really not my testimony, but rather, God's testimony of His love for me, and for all of us. It's not about how confident (or unconfident) I am in my faith or how many chapters of the bible I read everyday, or even how much I think about Him (which, to be honest, is not a lot. Many a time, I simply forget that He's with me). But He stayed with me, and saved me. So I'm typing this to thank and glorify Jesus for giving me a second chance (and so many more to come) at life, and to encourage those reading that there is a God out there, in here, and He loves you. He gave His Son so we will never have to experience pain, loss, death, sickness, failure, shame or strife.

It's all about Jesus.

*
It happened yesterday, the eve of Chinese New Year, 25th January 2009, close to 4 o' clock. My sister had my dad's car and took my mom and I out for a short joy ride to Pierce Reservoir. We were on our way home when we came across a huge junction directly underneath the Upper Thomson Flyover, where we would have taken a smooth right turn onto SLE. Having let her guard down slightly, my sister sped up to beat the yellow light when she should have halted at the stop line of the junction to wait for the green arrow to come on. It was an honest mistake. Right at that moment, when we were already three-quarters of the way diagonally across the junction, two cars - one black, one silver - came whizzing towards us, having beaten the amber light on their side of the road. Maybe it was adrenaline, I have no idea, but everything went into slow motion, like in the movies. Only this time, latched in the front passenger seat, I was literally a few inches from death.

But thank God! My sister stepped on the brake pedal just as the black car flew past in front of us. And then before I could blink, from my window I saw the silver car a short distance away - and swiftly closing the gap. I didn't even have the time to think about the bloodied mess that would have covered the road if my sister hadn't released the brake and stepped on the accelerator just in time for us to miss the silver car. All three of us emerged unscathed, not a scratch on any of the cars involved. There were screams of terror, but it was so quiet. I heard none of it. Throughout the whole episode, there were no honks, no screeching of tires; all the drivers and passengers were shocked out of our wits. It was a silent ride home. But we made it. God made it, for us.

Even now as I recount the almost-accident, I shudder inside. The memory of what could have happened haunts me sometimes. The image of that silver car hurtling itself towards my door. I wouldn't be here typing this. I can hardly believe what happened. Thinking about it, it was really God. It could not have been anyone else. My sister was too stunned to have switched pedals the way she did, and at those precise crucial moments, without God. There was a tiny pocket of safety then, and He led us right into it. It was truly Jesus' blood that surrounded our car like a shield.

Daddy God has given me a second (and unlimited) chance at life. He will for you too. He already has.

Happy New Year


- Hui Yi

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow huiyi!! thank you for sharing!! THIS IS truely amazing! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY BUT REALLY AMAZING TESTIMONY OF hIS BLOOD AND hIS FINISHED WORK! wow praise God!!=D

ongsheryL said...

omgosh. so scary! Thank God for his divine protection. and i pray, dat huiyi dat shock will not affect you in any way. and dat u will feel peace and the love of Daddy God and his wonderful presence holding you whenever you think back of it.amen!

Wu Xin said...

Thank God u r ok!

Hui Yi said...

Amen! =)

Joel Ng said...

Wah Thank God you're safe.. praise Jesus for protecting you and your family.. write into church and give glory to Daddy's name K?