Tuesday, April 8, 2008

the reason i go to church :)

Okay, im more than happy to start first. ( pls dont let me be the last too!haha.)
Heres the gist of it.. theres so much to it, cant really put into words. But, i think on the surface, it sounds like this...

Why do i attend church?

i dont know, i guess it was influence from my aunt, who shared the same room as me when i was young. she was a catholic who would lit a candle every night and pray. i was curious so i joined her. then, i went to a catholic church for some time. I guess, from then, i just got a sense that God existed.. and i talked to God too. and, i havent told anyone this before, but in (i think pri 3), i made a pact with God, like, if you give me good grades i promise to go to church(in the future, cos at that time my mom didnt allow me to)! haha.

Being barred fr church i still continue to talk to God and all, cos, you cant dismiss the feeling that theres someone up there looking after you. and, my grades were actually good. So, i felt like God really kept his promise, and i needed to keep mine. (actually for many other thigns too) so, in sec sch my friend invited me to teenzeal and i went in secret. yups. did that ever since.. initially it was also bcause she was really cool and it was all for the company.

But then one day, i had this realisation.. even blogged abt it. http://missy-y.blogspot.com/2007/09/new-revelation.html. from then on my faith was like.. going up up up..

basically, i was struck by how superbly blessed my uncle is. ( i knew him when he was still in uni and courting my aunt, and basically saw his life go from student to my idea of a good life) i asked how he got to where he is.. and the whole story is just grace, grace, grace.. every step of the way. It was brought before my eyes how you can let go and let God! a-m-a-z-in-g! and i asked myself, How? How can i have that too?? so i saw how he and my aunt would dedicate lots of time in church, and how strong believers they were since young. they are people i admire a lot. character-wise and all. and i'd like to be like that too. and i realised that, it was all from the bible. its full of STUFF, know. It can teach you to be the best person u can be. and the best thing was that i could have it too!

So thats why i go regularly, cos i want to know more. What reaffirmed me, was that while serving at rock kidz, i was introduced to this "mana theory", like, if you take care of God's business, he wil take care of yours. In a sense like if you just keep him in the centre of your life, everything around you will fall into place. Then i realised, hey, i did that ever since i was young!( naturally, even b4 i knew it as a 'theory') my whole life, God had a hand in it. and since god wrote the bible, i believe theres a lot more answers in there, things i can learn.. going to church helps me understand it better, or uncover things i didnt notice. Its hard to list down exactly WHY i do it, i just feels right, know.. yeah. thats why. it feels right...

2 comments:

John Gabriel said...

Wow, Yan. Thanks for that. It's really awesome to read all that. Thanks for coming up with the topic to share about. Hopefully everyone will start posting too (I'm drafting mine now!).

{kt} said...

thanks yan!!!! for everything! for starting this whole JC South blog, for being so faithful to keep it up, and update it, and post new stuff, and keep it looking good-u're amazing! =) yup, and for being the first to share your story!=)