Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Why I Go to Church.

The earliest memories I have about the things of God was when I was four. I still remember riding in the backseat of the car on my way to school one day. My dad was driving and he was telling me about Jesus.

Even then my parents always took me to Sunday school and I was studying in a Christian school but my dad still shared Jesus with me. At first I thought it weird that he asked me whether I wanted Jesus to come into my heart. I thought that I already was a Christian then, but I agreed and followed him while he lead me in a prayer.

It took me a few years to learn to appreciate that moment. Just because my parents were Christians and they sent me to Sunday and Christian school that did not make me a Christian.

Throughout the years I grew up a Christian. I loved Sunday school because I could play with my friends and I loved it when the "grown-ups" had caregroup at my place because the other kids would come over and play.

As I came into my early teens and increased in understanding I began to understand more of what was taught and preached in church. That understanding brought fear into my life; I wondered whether I was really saved, I wondered whether if I would be with Jesus in Heaven if I died. I doubted the assurance of my salvation. I remember hearing a preaching saying that if I don't even remember the exact date of when I asked Jesus to come into my life then I'm not saved. That really terrified me because I do not even remember the exact date.

I thought of asking Jesus to come into my life again so that I could have a date to remember. I wrote the date down on my Bible but I forgot the date again and that Bible is long gone. I was not sure of my salvation.

I remember crying one night for fear that Jesus would come back and leave me behind (watching the Left Behind Series did not help at all).

It was only until we moved to Singapore that I began to know Jesus in the way that he wants everyone to know Him - the true and living Saviour.

I praise God for bringing me under the teaching of God's grace. After hearing about the power of Jesus' blood and how it has surely washed me as white as snow, I began to lose any doubt of my salvation. I was fully assured that my salvation is forever and no moment of weakness and failing can ever take that away.

(Gosh this is really long and a little out of point.)

At first I just attended main service and refused to go for the youth service. I had my own "rebellion" against my parents because I was still angry that we moved to Singapore. I remember telling them, "Why should I make friends if I'm going to lose them anyway?"

But I loved the preaching from Pastor Prince's ministry and so I always went for Sunday service. At that time it was December and Teenzeal camp was coming. My mom signed me up much to my displeasure.

That camp changed my life. I've been attending youth services ever since. I made a lot of friends and learned a lot about friendship over these past few years.

I love how the Word has changed my life so much. I wish everyone and even other Christians could know Daddy God the way we know Him.

So that's basically how I started going to church. =)

3 comments:

YaN! said...

I seeee... seems like teenzeal was a really good ministry.. breeding ppl like us! haha

yeah, i keep going out of point too. haha. keeping it to the topic is hard. theres just so many things to talk about!!

thanks for posting!! so i dont feel so wierd being the only one :D

{kt} said...

wow... your story sounds really familiar... cuz it's so similar to my own! which, haha, i shall post soon...

Wu Xin said...

I really like your post.. :)